Washtenaw Community College was established in 1965, when Washtenaw County voters
passed a millage to provide financial support for a countywide community college.
WCC opened with a 6-member Board of Trustees, a newly-appointed president, and a parcel
of land in Ann Arbor and Superior Townships. Classes started in September 1966 on
a temporary campus at Willow Run, with 1200 students enrolled in 30 occupational programs
and a transfer curriculum.
From this modest beginning, WCC has grown into one of the nation’s premier community
colleges with an annual enrollment of more than 18,000 students in credit classes
each year, and thousands more in Economic and College Development classes. Our diverse
student body includes more than 1,000 students from 100+ foreign countries. Our 285-acre
campus and strategically located extension centers, operating resources, technology-enabled
facilities, and instructional quality are the envy of post-secondary education institutions
near and far.
LEARN ABOUT OUR MISSION, VALUES, AND VISION